Griffin News

Thousands of tennis fans are evacuated at Wimbledon

Three thousand people were dramatically evacuated from the All England Club last night as a fire broke out on Centre Court.

Engines are thought to have overheated in a maintenance room on the site, causing an electrical fault on what was the hottest July day on record.

People were forced to abandon their dinner and drinks on the third day of the tournament in south-west London after the blaze began at about 9pm.

One middle-aged woman – who appeared to have injuries to her left leg – was taken away on a stretcher, accompanied by her worried family.

The drama unfolded shortly before sunset after an alarm went off at The Wingfield Restaurant, which is at the front of Centre Court.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Name

Get in touch for a free quote

We’re here to help. You can get in touch by either contact the details below, or simply fill out the form and our team will be in touch

Scroll to Top

Email Us

Contact Marlowe Smoke Control for all AOV Systems and Smoke Vents. Our team are here to help you with any questions you may have

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Name

Need help? Call us on 020 7251 9379 or email us at customer.services@griffinfire.co.uk

Call our team

We’re here to help. You can get in touch by either contact the details below, or simply fill out the form and our team will be in touch